Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What if We Had Missed This?


This is something that I distinctly remember Steven Curtis Chapman saying in a video interview he did on adoption. I think his words were, "and to think, I almost missed this." He was referring to his first (of 3) adopted daughters from China. As Ally sat on the bed tonight, more interested (for the first time) in her toys than the video we have watched together each night, I had that same thought. What if we had not done this? Where would she be now? How much would we have missed out on? What an incredible blessing we would have missed. I know another family would have "swept her up" quickly, so we would have been the ones to miss out. I remember about 2 years ago, when I finally let myself seriously consider doing this (after years of reasoning out of it), and, even then, how many times I talked myself out of it, because it wasn't "practical" for our family. So many reasons not to adopt, but now that we have her, I can't seem to make sense of any of those reasons!


So what if it was expensive?

So what if it took what seemed like forever?

So what if it meant another college tuition and wedding?

So what if we are too old to "start over"?

So what if we had gotten rid of all of our baby stuff?

So what if we might get sick in China?

So what if...etc?


Yes, she is beautiful. I am so encouraged just tonight with her progress. It is slight, but any progress seems monumental. For the last few days, she has just been sort of "here", not really doing anything much - in a daze, I guess. I'm sure that is part of her coping mechanism kicking in, and that she is scared and in shock and grieving her loss. Yes, it's hard to watch her "get sad" for no apparent reason and turn her head from us. It's very hard; but I can't imagine how hard it is for this tiny,tiny person. She has been through so much in her little life, and especially in the last 3 days. Today we bought some toys at the supermarket, and at first I thought they were too babyish - rattles and plastic toys to hold and shake. Just before bed, she was sitting on our bed with us (S and L are in their room) and she was shaking them and examining them. One of the toys is a cylinder with a ball inside that she can see and touch, but the ball won't come out. This has not outwardly frustrated her, but she has "worked" on getting that ball out all evening. Also, in the van today, she touched and played with my bracelet for several minutes - turning it and pinching each little bead. May not sound like much to most folks, but it was great to see just that little bit of interest and interaction. She shook the little Advil container and tried to use it to get the ball out of the cylinder. I wanted to put her in her GT shirt that we brought her for that picture, especially when she tried to use the camera cord to get the ball out! A little future engineer. One other little tiny thing that we noticed as she sat in my lap at the desk while I typed my last entry, is that she was using her toes to clank the drawer pull - also, I heard a few little noises from her then. That is the first noise (other than crying) she has made while I (of any of us) was holding her. It was quite and not much, but I'll take it. Am I grasping at straws? Maybe. We are trying to be very observant, that's all!


We tried to put her Minnie Mouse sunglasses on her that Miss Randi, Brittani and Shelbi brought her from Disney, but her nose is too tiny to hold up the glasses!!!! It was quite funny - does it sound like we are playing dress up? I think it does.


She is such a sweet little girl. She will put her arms around your neck and put her head on your shoulder. Maybe she doesn't want to look at you, but it is sweet none the less! She doesn't totally avoid looking at us, only on occasion.


I'm a bit worried about tomorrow, for Ally's sake, as well as for S and L. And D, for that matter! You see? I'm a worrier (from what I hear, Doug made that clear in his previous post)!!! S and L do not want us to take her, they fear she will be too sad and cry when we have to leave. Anyway, I don't know how it will be to actually see/visit her orphanage - to imagine the August night (probably) when her birth mommy left her at the door; to see the nannies who loved her and cared for her for almost 2 years, and to see her friends who are waiting for their families to come soon or someday. I'll probably be the one who cracks and they will all be fine -- that will be OK with me! I don't want a set back in the progress she has made. It's a hard call, but I am pretty sure we will all go.


So, it's time again for us to call it a night. Our day was less eventful than the last two and we spent most of the afternoon and all evening in the hotel (hurt daddy and rain kept us close by). Very happy to have power and AC! Sally just laughs at us, and she will say "it has air conditioning inside" - as a real perk! She has been so wonderful. Very flexible and accommodating. It helps that our family is her entire group this week. All we have tomorrow is the orphanage visit, and maybe a trip to the crutches store (he is actually telling me he is better, so we'll see).


I am so excited to see the comments and we all enjoy reading them. Doug asked me to read them out loud, since he is an invalid (I reminded him that can be pronounced 2 ways!). I can barely make it through without crying a litte when I read the sweet things that you people say. Some laughing as well, which is good! I'm so glad to have this connection to home. It has made everything much more fun. We look forward to seeing the comments every day. I have been a blog addict for a little over a year. I have more adoption blogs in my favorites than anything else! I'm usually a blog stalker and only comment on people I know personally. Believe me, I have cried my share of tears reading the accounts of families who travel to China to get their daughters! Many of them people I don't even know, and only a few of people I do know! My friend Debbie encouraged me to start this blog and I'm so glad I have this documentation of our journey to Ally. (I am in a blog withdrawl - not only can I not see my own posts, I cannot read any of my favs!)


A man we met along the adoption way said, "everybody has their own adoption story" and we are so glad you are allowing us to share our story with you! I can't even imagine "if we had missed this." Yes, it has been hard in many ways, but in the end, none of those details matter!

14 comments:

Amy said...

BABY STEPS!! I am worried about her at the orphanage, but am sure ya'll will make the right decision for all. At least it should not be like it was the first 20 minutes. She knows that ya'll love her and I believe she is loving ya'll, too, so it should be easier. She has to feel safe with her new family by now. RARALALA will take care of her!!

Talked to mom this morning and read the earlier blogs. WE will all be praying for ya'll as you go see where it all began. Yes, most of us thought you were alittle looney when we heard about this venture, but sure are glad you did it. I love my new niece and can't wait to get ahold of her. I'll have to have a girls slumber party real soon!!!

Kisses! A

The Millers said...

Lucy,

You said everything that could be said. As Abby and I sat here reading this, I had goose bumps, just thinking about it. "I want to be there," Abby said. We will be in time! So very thankful you said yes, Lucy and Doug! It was such a blessing for us as well. It has made the waiting a little bit easier to bear.
She is so precious. I love that she has been able to interact more. What peace that must give you. We love you and will be praying for your ankle Doug. Will also be praying about the orphanage visit. It will be a reminder of how God adopted us and was drawing us before we even knew it. I think you might regret not taking the opportunity for your sakes as well as Allys. We are staying by the computer!

Melissa

Donna said...

Thank you for reminding me about the "whys" of doing this. I am really enjoying your detailed notes. Keep them coming! #5,#6,#7, and #9 moms are all meeting today for lunch by Hope. We will say an extra prayer today for #8 while we are together :)

Sheri said...

We are in my parents rented townhouse in Jacksonville all gathered around the computer catching up on all of your wonderful news. Ally is so beautiful! Mom is crying as I read aloud the updates from your last week. We are so happy for all of you and will join the many praying for how things go tomorrow at the orphanage. So glad to be able to read all of your news and feel like we can share in this amazing journey with you. We love you all.
s

Switched For Life said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog so far and wanted to send you a huge congrats on your new daughter!! We will be heading to Xi'an for our waiting son in 2-3 weeks (just waiting on CA to be confirmed) and your descriptions of your travels have been very helpful. Best wishes that the remainder of trip will go smoothly!

Sprinkles' and Popsicle's Mom said...

I told you that it would be well worth it. Yes, some people think you're crazy - others look at it as a bad financial move - others will never understand - people will continuously say how lucky she is --- BUT NOW YOU KNOW - you guys are the lucky ones!!!! Your blog said it all! In our letter to SG - we state, "Everyone tells us that we saved her, but in actuality -- SHE SAVED US!" People who have never adopted don't understand - but now I think you guys do. Not that you didn't enjoy your life before - but now you know that you have her, you're richer in your heart than you ever were before - huh? And the best news is that with each smile and each time she reaches for you - your bond with each other will grow stronger and stronger. I didn't think you were crazy - I knew you were about to experience God's miracle and be rewarded daily!!! :) We feel blessed to have been chosen as SG's family and I'm sure you guys all feel that way about sweet Ally. I'll never forget the moment when Doug told me what you said at the Steven Curtis Chapman concert and I knew that your life was forever going to change - it'll be better than you could have ever imagined it! People who haven't taken or had the opportunity to adopt - may never understand your choice, but that certainly doesn't matter because your life will continually be rewarded by this one decision. Hope Doug is feeling better - I bet he'll use that excuse when he gets back up on the boat as to why he can't waterski!!!! :) Thanks for the update and good luck at the orphanage. Virginia said it was hard for them to envision the day Frankie was dropped off when they arrived at the orphanage, but they were so glad to see what her life had been like prior to joining their family. I think that is so cool that your guide only has your family - that's amazing! Don't lose too much weight while you're over there and this time next week, I'll be cooking you guys up whatever American meal you choose!!!!!!

Amy said...

Just heard from MaMa Sue - she says tell Harley ,"S.U.H". She is going to get you for your previous blog - for some reason, she does not agree that she is worrier queen! Lucy, she is wanting me to make sure that we have whatever Ally needs waiting for her - diapers, food, enc. So, let me know.
Just met some teachers from Alcova for lunch - they have all been reading all about Ally and have requested that ya'll visit the week of pre-planning!

Hope you had a good nite sleeping and are ready to go again. Hop-A-Long Doug and all!!

Love ya'll, A

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

Thanks for your blog today. I needed a little reminding about why we go through the ups and downs of adoption. I too, have said all these things and have questioned if we should continue with our present adoption. My heart knows (and all I have to do is look at Addie) that the process is so worth the end result. Like you said ... "What if..."

As for visiting Ally's home for the past two years, I think it will be a blessing for you and especially for Ally in the future. One of the greatest gifts I was given throughout our adoption of Addie was the opportunity to meet her birthmother. And while I know you'll never know Ally's birthmother, you will know the women who have loved and cared for her. It's a piece of her "life" puzzle - and I think she'll be so grateful to have that connection to her her brief life in China. I hope all goes well. I check your blog multiple times each day. I'm ashamed to say I'm disappointed if there's not a new post - but good grief - I know you guys have to sleep sometime!:) Hope Doug's ankle is on the mend. Take care - my love to the girls (Hi, Sara!)

Linda Z.

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Lucy, My eyes are filled with tears. I am thinking of Doug and what brought our two family together ~ our stories! LiLi is sitting right beside me and I can't believe that there was a time when I didn't want this. OMG ~ I am really crying now! Ally is perfect in so many ways! Hug, dear friend, Big ~ Big ladybug hugs!

Marta Tokaji said...

Lucy:

I am still addicted to your blog site. I can't wait to check it each day. I still have tears in my eyes often when I read the posts. Now Chris & Brandon have really gotten into it & look forward to seeing new pictures every day. The especially liked the giant hot dog. Chris wants to visit China now. I really think you need to publish this blog as a book someday. I think a lot of people would love to read it.

Marta Tokaji

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amazing. I know so many people who have now gotten addicted to reading it, including my parents and I. We look on here at least twice a day to see what's up with the Harkness family (of 5) and how they are doing in China. Ally seems to be making much progress with you all, I know that she is very lucky to have you all as her family. I really miss you all and have a fantastic day!

Audrey

Moosevine said...

How exciting to see Ally slowly warming up!

You are so right about the "what ifs." As excruciating as this wait can be at times, I can't imagine not going through it, either. A lot of people don't understand, but it is our adoption story. It will be part of our daughter's story some day, and that will make it all worthwhile. Seeing you all together with Ally just makes me more excited to imagine what our China adventure will be like. I appreciate so much the time you take to let us "share" the ups & downs of your trip. Ally doesn't realize what a celebrity she is here in the States! :)

Amy said...

Signing off for the nite - Hope your visit went really great - I know it had to be tough seeing where she has been for the last year+, but I hope it helped ya'll some.

Can't wait to get up in the morning and read about it. I am headed to Tampa area for a long weekend - sure hope I can blog while I am down there!

Love ya'll - now, just go and enjoy the rest of your time.

Love, A

Lisa said...

Lucy and Doug,

We just got back from vacation and are overjoyed to read your blog. We are laughing and crying with you and are so excited for you! We can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

Lisa, Tim, Hannah & Zachary Watkins