Saturday, July 21, 2007

Welcome to Guangzhou!











We are in Guangzhou at the White Swan. We arrived at midnight (last night) after a flight delay out of Xi’an. Our day yesterday was fairly uneventful, except for all of the smiling our little girl did! She really smiles for Sara and Lauren, a few for daddy and one for mommy. The girls will smell her feet and say “ooh, Ally has stinky feet” and they will make a funny face. She will giggle and smile. It’s just the cutest thing. When we left the hotel, Sally took us to lunch and then to the Xi’an History Museum. It was simply fascinating to see history from over 3000 years ago. Most who know me, know that history is not my favorite, but I had never seen anything like it in the states (obviously)! Our uneventful afternoon and ride to the airport was a memory that I will always cherish. We had to wait around for a long time at the civil affairs office (for her passport). When the officer didn’t come, we had to go to the police station and wait some more. Once we got the passport, we were off to the airport. All this time, as we waited, Sally asked the girls what they wanted to learn to say in Chinese. In Lauren’s usual style, she came up with the most unusual requests! She asked for the Chinese word for gopher (I have no idea where that came from)! Sally didn’t know what that was, so S and L acted it out! She started laughing. The funniest thing was when Lauren asked her how to say “toot” (yes, you know what she means)! Sally, again didn’t know the English word toot, so Lauren had to act it out, by making a sound with her mouth and then acting like it smelled bad! At that point, Sally lost it! She was laughing so hard she couldn’t even talk. She tried several times to say it, but continued to laugh so hard! We hated to say good bye to Sally and to Xi’an, knowing that we were leaving Ally’s birthplace. I had a few tears in my eyes as I told her good bye. Our flight was delayed and they changed the gate. Again, it was eye-opening to have to function without the benefit of understanding the language. Luckily, we made it (we were on the same flight as another family with their new daughter). The flight was fine; Ally was great and it didn’t seem to phase her. Since it was late, she did fall asleep for about an hour on the flight. She laid across S and L’s lap for a while, and when she got a little wiggly, I picked her up. She slept on my shoulder for a little while, but couldn’t get comfy, as she wanted to stretch out. Our flight arrived in Guangzhou at 11 PM and we were all tired. Our new guide, Jophy, was there to pick us up and we were off to the White Swan Hotel. We pretty much went right to bed. Our rooms are next to each other, but not connected. It’s a bit of an inconvenience because the girls both want to sleep in the room with Ally. This morning (Saturday), we enjoyed another big b’fast buffet here at the hotel. The hotel is nice, but the rooms are nothing compared to the Shangri-La in Xi’an (their beds were like the “heavenly beds” at the Westin); these are like boxes and the rooms are small. I think the big attraction to the White Swan is the location (walking distance to shopping), the famous red couch (which was just a red velvet sofa in a small welcome room), the “coming home Barbie” that is given to each family. It is cute, a blonde mom with a Chinese baby (made by Matel). It is nice to see so many families with their new little ones. It appears that all of the adoptive children that are here now are special needs children, and we have seen more boys than we expected. In fact, of the four children in our Hope group, Ally is the only girl! I had to do about an hour or so of paperwork this morning while Daddy and his girls went to the play room (here in the hotel). We then took her to a medical exam where we were once again told that her heart sounded fine, by 3 pediatricians. Every time I hear that, I’m so thankful that our many prayers were answered! Ally really is starting to open up and smile a lot. Sara and Lauren got her to run and play with a ball in there. She just laughed and smiled, giggles even. It was just too cute. So sweet to see her smile and hear her laugh. She still has moments of withdrawing from us, but not like earlier in the week. We joined another Hope family (also from Lawrenceville) for lunch at Lucy’s Diner (American style!). Ally was asleep in her stroller at first, but woke up to help me finish my quesadilla (not quite like home, but good enough!). Again, we had to monitor her intake a little! We did a little shopping and are back in the hotel now, eating a little dinner, and about to get ready for bed. We got a couple of little bi-lingual picture books for Ally. We are trying to get her to share and she is learning. She would hold all 4 books and really think about giving one to Sara and Lauren, but when she saw that they would give it back. She just smiled and handed me a ketchup packet and said something the sounded like “thank you” – of course, that’s what we heard!!! It has just been amazing to see her progress. She is very concerned about keeping all of her “stuff” nearby – whether it’s food or her cup or a toy. Ally started giving each of us KISSES today! What else needs be said about that? Guangzhou looks like a min-Vegas at night. Our view of the river and city is pretty amazing. Maybe I mis-spoke before about the hotel. Other than the rooms, it’s very nice!

6 comments:

Sprinkles' and Popsicle's Mom said...

Okay - funniest thing just happened. SG came running in - "Are there more pictures of Ally, S and L" - When she saw Ally's picture of her crying - she said, "Where's Lucy - she's crying for her mommy!" I had to explain that you picked her up right after the picture was taken so Ally is fine now. She accepted that, but she couldn't figure out why you, Lucy, were letting her cry. It was cute.

Okay - smiles, laughs and giggles along with KISSES - I don't think you get any better than that, my dear! I'm so excited. Oh my gosh - I just when I didn't think she could get any cuter - you send more pics and she's even sweeter!

We can't wait to hear all of S and L's stories - leave it to Lauren to make Sally laugh so hard. Sally looks so sweet and I bet it was hard to leave her after so many days with her. I'm sure you guys will forever be a special family to her.

Love and hugs to all - I can't believe 3 out of 4 were boys - holy cow.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear from you! Starting to get worried but know you are glad to be on the last leg before HOME!!! Ally is so cute, and I don't know how to explain it but Sara and Lauren seemed to have matured or grown so much- they look so happy to be there with their little sister! You all are the cutest little family! Ilove the picture for you all @ the airport. Glad you found Lucy's. Try to find a shop called Michael's down through the park beside the tennis courts. He was the nicest of all the shopkeepers, and gave us good deals. We bought most all our gifts there. Also we had our laundry done right there beside the hotel @ House of Love I think it is called. They were really great there- we also had our granite etching done there as well. Anyway, hope you have a fabulous time!!!

Love to you all,
Sharon

ps I finally talked to Debbie L. via email and she is just precious!

sheryl said...

Little Ally just can't get any cuter!!! She has turned the corner. She knows she is a Harkness girl and is lovin it! S & L are amazing sisters. They are just so natural with her. I can only imagine how your heart swells to watch them together.

Now that you are in Guangzhou, it's time to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP! I can't remember the name of my favorite shop, but it was right on the corner before you cross the street to the park. If you are standing at the White Swan and looking down the street, it is on the right side. They seemed to have a larger selection and we had fun haggling with them. Also, on that same side, on the other side of the park, is a fabulous Vietnamese restaurant ~ if you aren't too tired of Asian food. Just past that restaurant, is a very small little shop that sells Baby Gap, Gymboree and many other name brands for ridiculously cheap. I got Linzi Gymboree dresses for $5 and beautiful hand embroidered sweaters for $8 ea. Similar sweaters here would sell for at least $40+.

Have fun!

Sheryl

Moosevine said...

It just amazes me to see how much Ally has blossomed in a week's time! Love those sunglasses! Sounds like you'll stay busy these last few days between the government appointments and shopping opportunities. We're headed out of town for a few days, and I'm worried about having withdrawal since I won't have computer access to read your blog posts! :) Enjoy your time in Guangzhou and have a safe trip home. We look forward to seeing you guys when you get back!

The Millers said...

We are loving this!! Mom thinks she is beautiful as well. You must be filled with so much joy at how well she is doing. The "Swept Away" song about does me in each time. I was telling Mom the words and lost it. After seeing Ally's blog and playing with my neighbors Chinese daughters, Mom and Dad are getting pretty excited as well!

Loved Lauren's antics! According to my Mom she must have a lot of Doug in her. Wow, guess you have left quite an impression on my parents, Doug! Again would love to be there sharing all the joy and tears with you!

How wonderful about the doctor's reports. God is so faithful!
We have got to see ya'll with Ally. I know how busy things will be but as soon as we can, lets PLEASE meet in KY again.

Lucy, it is even better than you hoped for, isn't it!!! What an incredible blessing that God would even allow this in our lives. So thankful we said yes!!!!

Love,
Melissa

sharkness said...

Hey everyone, So glad everything is going so well. She is so cute!! I do not think I can wait till christmas to see her. I have a friend who said their little girl cried for 3 weeks solid. Sara and laureen sound like they are being a big help. I am so proud of them. I am enjoying the pictures and reading all of the postings. Take care and love you all! Shelley