Well, here we go. On our tour of the city wall of Xi'an, Doug hurt his ankle - he twisted it on a ramp that he didn't see. It is swollen and hurts pretty bad. He made it through the rest of the tour and back to the hotel. You all would have enjoyed my "acting" for the lady at the front desk, trying to ask where we could buy some crutches (size super large!). I doubt that the word crutches is taught in conversational English taught in Chinese schools! I had to literally act it out! Finally she realized what I was asking. She said the only place was the hospital, so I reserved a wheelchair for him tomorrow AM.
Anyway, on to Ally. She slept about 12 hours last night and we all had our best night sleep yet. I slept from 9'ish until 6:30, so I felt great today! That made such a difference! Ally woke up about 7 and we gave her a bath (with Lauren - she asked us not to photo that event). She didn't cry at all, even when we shampooed her hair. She didn't even mind that the water was in her face.
I took Sara and Lauren down to breakfast, and left Daddy (before he hurt his ankle) in the room with Ally. She did just fine with him, waking on her own, him changing her diaper and giving her some milk. They came down and joined us for b'fast with no tears. He was quite a happy daddy! It was really cute.
At 9, Sally arrived to pick us up for the day. I carried Ally in the snuggli carrier and she did fine with it today! Still no interest in the stroller. Today's activity included a tour of the city of Xi'an. The city is surrounded by a huge wall (8 mile perimeter). There are gates leading in and out (take your pick which direction you drive thru!). We rented a regular bike and a tandem bike and rode around on top of the wall (nearly 40 feet wide). Doug and I took turns holding Ally (so did Sally). That was so much fun - we could stop and look over the wall into parks with retired people dancing to no music (they also do this under bridges!), see children playing under the trees. There was a nice breeze and it was somewhat overcast, so it wasn't so hot today.
We next proceeded over the drum tower. That is when it happened - I had Ally and Doug was trying to maneuver behind a group of French tourists (carrying Ally's bag and the camera bag) when he misstepped on a ramp and twisted his ankle. He knew it was hurt, but didn't think it was too bad at the time. We watched the drum show and then went down into the market. This is what we expected shopping in China to be like. Bargaining and knock-off brand names! We did buy a suitcase (we had planned to do this anyway) for about $11. Hopefully the wheels will stay on it until we get to Atlanta! The girls bought a few things too. Doug bought a wooden frog that makes a ribbit sound by rubbing a stick over his back! Like I said earlier, for those who have not yet come to China, WAIT to shop in these types of markets! These "govt stores" that your guides tell you about are just a tourist trap that they get a cut from the sales (at least that is our take on it). Anyway, live and learn!
Sally took us to a supermarket to get some more "milk mix" for Ally as well as some cough medicine for her (she has been a little congested since we got her). We also wanted to get her a couple of outfits, since most of what we brought her was too big. Sara and Lauren both got a swim cap!
One thing I forgot to post last night; after a long day of touring, when we returned to the hotel, Ally was holding hands with her sisters as we walked to the hotel elevator, and her shorts and diaper literally fell off (they were down to her knees - full booty view)! I just about busted out laughing, as I had the rear view of what was happening. She didn't want to stop walking, so she was walking with very wide steps, to keep going! It was too cute!
During Ally's afternoon nap, I took S and L to the pool. Doug stayed in the room with Ally (ice on his ankle). Before we left, Ally was laying in her bed making noises - sticking her tongue out and blowing and chattering. We videoed it, and even though it was too dark to see, it was adorable. I wish she would "talk" for us, but she hasn't said anything.
She took a good nap, and we ordered room service. Again, we got too much food! And this time the hot dog was HUGE (maybe 14 inches)!!!! She ate a few pinches. She held one french fry in each hand as she ate. She had tomatoes, hot dog, apples and ice cream. She drank her cough medicine too.
The cough medicine was another story; as we got back to the hotel and found all of the instructions in Chinese (duh). The lady at the store had told us (thru Sally) that it was a liquid and a 2 year old would need 1/2 packet. I thought "OK, I can do this", but NO! We got to the room and I opened the packet, only to find what looked like poprocks! They told me it was a liquid!!! So, here goes Lucy down to the desk again, to ask the same lady who interpreted my crutches acting how to give Ally this medicine. She said, "give her 1/2 packet with water" and that the amount of water didn't matter! OK - that worked and she drank it fine! Nothing is easy with a language barrier.
It's raining tonight, so the girls and I are going for a walk in the hotel. Thanks for the good advice from all of you moms who have BTDT! We are spending some alone time with her and Sara and Lauren are understanding. It's so funny as they play "mini-mommy" telling me "Ally wants this or that" and "she needs a new diaper". We just laugh!
We got her some little shaky toys. She is now sitting on the bed next to Sara still holding her french fry! She likes to keep/hold food in her hand as she is fed. Sometimes she will put the food in her mouth on her own. I don't know how long this fry will last! She won't eat it, just hold it. I know this is not all that unusual.
Tomorrow is our orphanage visit. I can't wait to see where Ally lived for almost 2 years. I just hope it isn't too hard on her to see her friends and caregivers. I have heard mixed reviews on how the kids do when they make the visit to the orphanage. Sara and Lauren think that we should not take her back, and in some ways I agree. I feel like I need to go and see it. I want them to know that we love Ally and will always take good care of her. I just hope she won't scream and cry when/if she sees her favorite nannies. I want to thank them for loving her. I know it must be hard on them too. We are so thankful!
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
Sleep is a wonderful thing when you're exhausted - isn't it? I'm so glad all of you slept. You sound much better today. We're so sorry about Doug's ankle - I just can't believe it. Joel said it's better to fall off what he did - instead of falling of the Great Wall!!! I'm sure the orphanage will be hard, but I'm glad you have the opportunity to see it as well as take pictures of the other children for your friends. Hopefully Doug will feel better after staying off his ankle for a day or two. Thanks for all the details. I would have laughed hysterically too watching Ally's diaper fall off along with her shorts - how funny! I remember Sara telling me that they take swimming very seriously over there - thank goodness you found swim caps, I'm sure the girls are thrilled. Hugs to all!
I mentioned to mom about taking Ally back and wondering if it will be hard for her. She said that (You will know who she is talking about prob) someone told her that when they went to the orphanage, their little girl went to the caregivers, but went back to her mommy without any problem with it was time to go. Hopefully that is what Ally does, if you decide to take her with you.
Hope the ankle is feeling better. It is good to hear that Ally is sleeping so good and cooing, etc. She is probably wondering when all the running around is going to stop - I am sure that she has never done so much in her two years as she has in 3 days! WOW! I am not surprised that "RARALALA" are taking such good care of her. Madison wants to know when RARALALA will be home.
One week - can't wait.
Love ya'll, A
That's a shame about Doug's ankle. Hopefully it will be better today. Glad you're taking the opportunity to explore China so much! And what a great experience for S & L!
Oh, and just a thought about the cough medicine for Ally. I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but you'll want to be very careful (at least until your US doctor clears it) with any type of decongestants for her. Plain benedryl is fine for Anna, but not decongestants (like with psedoephidrine) due to their tendency to increase heartrate. Just an FYI in case you did not know that.
Good luck with the orphanage visit. No doubt it will be hard on all of you, but it will be something to treasure in your hearts forever. I'll never forget visiting Natalie's orphanage...I kept envisioning how many babies I could stick under each arm & run away with! ha!
Take care & hoping Ally shows you a big smile soon!
Debbie M.
Post a Comment